09 June 2015

Quarter Sunflower Pincushion


My husband has been irritated with me leaving pins about when I block projects, so I created this little sunflower pin cushion! It was inspired by the pillow I made for my sister.

I used fingering-weight cotton yarn and a 2mm hook. The finished size is 3.5 inches square.

If you use a larger 5.5mm hook and worsted weight yarn, it would be perfect for a small throw pillow!



I split the pattern for the front of the sunflower square and the back of the sunflower squares for ease of reading.


Here is the pattern for the

Front of the Sunflower
.

Here is the pattern for the

Back of the Sunflower
.




Pillow fill:
   I made my own pillow by cutting a 4.5 inch x 8 inch piece of scrap fabric. Since my squares blocked to 3.5 inches, I gave myself 1/2 inch of seam allowance. I folded the fabric in half and sewed up two sides, flipped the pillow inside out, and ironed creases into the 3rd side to make final sewing easier.
   Then, I sewed the 3rd side halfway and very close to the ironed crease, stuffed the pillow as full as I could since I'm making a pin cushion,and finished sewing the side shut.

Constructing the Pillow:
   Connect the two squares with a border of single crochet in white.

   Place 4 sc in the side of each tc, 3 sc in the side of each dc and 1 sc in the side of each sc, pushing the hook through both squares at the same time to draw up a loop. Sometimes you may want to more securely close the square by pulling up a loop through part of a petal as well as the foundation dc/tc.
   Stitch [sc, hdc, sc] in each corner stitch to give pointy right angle corners.









Fig. 1:   Front of my corner Sunflower pincushion.



Fig. 2:   Back of my corner Sunflower pincushion.



Fig. 3:   Front and Back to my pincushion with pillow insert.

9 comments:

  1. So cute! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's simply lovely!! Very original way for using the crocodilestitch :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. would be a beautiful pillow! love this, thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a lovely pattern and the pictures and instructions are great! Thank you so much for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's beautiful ant original. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been looking for a sunflower crochet pattern. Yours is the prettiest I have seen. Is it available as the whole flower? I want to put it on a pillow for a very close friend. Thank you for considering this request.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are soooo Cute! Love anything sunflowers. I would like to make this design into a throw pillow too; it should be easy. Oh, I found you on shareapattern.com

    ReplyDelete